It’s more than three months since we launched Match My School. Slowly but surely, the MMS community is growing and we are delighted to announce that we now have more than 100 schools from 6 different countries on the platform.
It feels as if the platform is beginning to take off – teachers in different countries are beginning to find each other, swap messages and co-operate. Most importantly, it means more kids will be able to put their new-found language skills into practice, receive a letter or message from a pen-pal in other country and start to find friends abroad.
Things we're doing during the summer
While it feels like we’re making progress, there’s still a long way to go to fulfil our vision of enabling every language teacher to find the right colleague to partner with abroad. We know that it’s vital to ensure there’s a good balance of members, schools, languages, age groups etc. so that everyone who joins can contact as many potential partners as possible. One of our chief tasks in the months ahead will be to work on targeting the languages and countries that are underrepresented to improve the choice for everyone.
It goes without saying that we are always enhancing and tweaking the site (in line with user feedback and activity) to make it as user-friendly as possible, including making it easier to identify the location of each school.
Things you can do
- Check in regularly. New people are coming on every day, including those who could be your perfect partner.
- Update your profile. It really helps to add a picture or avatar and it doesn’t have to be of you. A picture of your school, your town or a local landmark is also fine.
- Keep reaching out. It may take some time and several attempts to find the right person to work with. Be as clear as you can about what you’re looking for and what you can realistically offer.
- Be responsive. Even if a contact doesn’t look right for you, try to reply if someone gets in touch, even if you’re busy. Please acknowledge the contact you have received and take five minutes to give a friendly reply.
- Give us feedback. We want to make MMS as useful as we can. If you have a suggestion or there’s something you think we could be doing better, we’d love you to tell us.
- Spread the word. Word of mouth is a great way to grow the community. If you like the site and are finding it useful, please let others know!
One last thing
We know how hard language teachers work…..so make sure you relax and enjoy your well earned break!